119 Lower Baggot St, Dubin

119 lower baggot st

119 Lower Baggot St, Dubin

Baggallay was murdered here.

Whilst the IRA would have been quite happy to shoot Baggallay as a Court Martial officer, I feel that there was another target in the building, who was not in his room when the squad arrived. Baggallay was just not that important a target to use a complete squad that morning. Retrospectively the IRA said that Baggallay was both a Courts Martial Officer and had taken the phone call in Dublin Castle that led to the raid that killed Lynch (the link is so tenuous to Lynch's death, that it would not have warranted a death sentence)

At 119 Lower Baggot Street, Captain Geoffrey Thomas Baggallay (a barrister by profession, and had been employed as a prosecutor under the Restoration of Order in Ireland Regulations: Times 23 Nov. 1920), who had been a member of military courts that sentenced IRA volunteers to death, was killed by a IRA unit, which included a future Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of Ireland, Sean Lemass.

The IRA hit man MacDonald said "We knocked at the front door a maid came along have a letter from the Castle will you deliver this note to Captain Baggallay a one legged man."

IRA men present here

Outside 119 Baggot Street, Matty MacDonald shared a joke with Jack Keating about the size of the hammer he had brought to force in the door. But the hammer was not needed. MacDonald went on:

We knocked at the front door a maid came along. We have a letter from the Castle, will you deliver this note to Captain Baggallay, a one legged man. The maid pointing and in we went in. We tapped at the door, opened it and walked in. There were 3 of us. Baggallay was in bed. Lemass, Jimmy and I. I was kind of scared. ‘Captain Baggallay ?’ ‘That’s my name.’ ‘ I suppose you know what we came for. We came for you.’ He was the Judge Advocate General. ‘ I suppose you’ve come for my guns’ he said. One of us, Jimmy Brennan hid it under the bed and he reached behind for it… Slugs and a little more was our reply. ‘Get up.’ He was in pyjamas. Lemass and Jimmy and I fired 2 in the head from the 3 guns. I heard maids screaming afterwards but I was told she was alright. On the ground floor was Jack Foley. A fellow came out with a towel in pyjamas for a bath and Jack stuck him up and he was balls naked. Thinking he was a lodger but he was another British army officer and how we didn’t know about him, we hadn’t any orders about him. MacDonald took a camera and whatever papers he could find. An examination of the body found that Captain G. T. Baggally had been shot on the top of the head, through the left eye and twice in the chest

Hansard reports. When the police arrived every occupant of the house had left, and no witness was available to describe the circumstances.

The following day at the resumed court martial on Michael O'Rourke accused of killing of a British soldier, Private Rogers, it was mentioned that Capt Baggallay had been involved in the case, and the chairman extended sympathy to his relatives.

Companion of Order of St Michael and St George is used to honour individuals who have rendered important services in relation to the United Kingdom. I have not found him in London Gazette with this honour.

Thomas Whelan of 14 Barrow St, Michael J Tobin of 19 Upper Sherrard St, James McNamara of 81 Lower St Georges St, Kingstown, and James Boyce of 10 Aungier St were charged with this murder. The case against Tobin was dropped before the trial and McNamara and Boyce were found not guilty. Only Thomas Whelan was found guilty. Whelan from Clifden, Co Galway, was living in Barrow Street, Ringsend. He was hanged by the British for this shooting. Whelan had been "identified" as one of the gunmen by a British officer who had been shaving in the bathroom of the house - presumably the naked man referred to in MacDonald's testimony. Whelan claimed that was not in the vicinity at this time and despite numerous witnesses testifying that he was at 9am Mass in St Patrick’s Church, Ringsend he was found guilty by a British Court Marshal and hanged on 14th March 1921. The problem was that the defence of claiming to have been at mass, was rightly or wrongly used by many men before courts martial, and in the end was not generally believed by the courts. Whelan was a member of A Company, 3rd Battalion, Dublin Brigade, IRA which the British must have known. 

On 23 June 1959, Seán Lemass was appointed Taoiseach (Prime Minister of Ireland) on the nomination of his party, Fianna Fail.

Cairo gang Address Raided


Here's an extract from Pat McCrea's WS413
I was mobilized for 35 Lr Gardiner St together with the remainder of the Transport men. It was between 8 and 9 o'clock when I arrived there and received instructions from Dick McKee and Peadar Clancy. They were together in the hall. I was told what was to take place on Sunday morning, each car with two drivers was allocated a certain street or area. I was told to assist the unit that was operating at 28 Lr. Baggot St. As well as I remember, the men on that job were a couple of members of the squad - P. Griffin, Eddie Byrne and Mick Fleming. Mick Fleming was in the army later.

The British agent in Baggot St., listed for elimination was, as far as I know, Captain Baggally, who was believed to have been one of Kevin Barry's torturers. On that Sunday morning I left home about 7.30 o'clock and made my way to the dump in North Great Charles St. I met the remainder of the men there - at least some of them. We collected our guns and got out the car. We timed ourselves to be in Baggot St. about five minutes to 9 o'clock. We arrived there up to time - I think it was two or three minutes to p - and within three minutes another man, who was on the job, turned up. We parked the car a little to the rear of the house on the opposite side of the street. when our men arrived there was no delay, as arranged. Three or four men entered the house, leaving one man on each side of the building outside as a guard for the men who had actually gone into the house. They had particulars of the agent's bedroom. When the room was entered he tried to escape through the window, but before he reached the window he was put out of action. The job was completed in the space of a few minutes. We got away without incident. We left Baggot St and we came down Merrion square and Westland row. When we came into Merrion square we picked up a few men coming off the Mount St. job - one was Herbert Conroy. We arrived back at the dump without any interference from anybody. We replaced the car and dumped our guns. Headquarters that morning was at 6 North Richmond St - Byrnes - in case of casualties, and for the purpose of making our reports. I think we were about the first unit to arrive there. After a time the other units came in. Sean Russell was there. I think he was quartermaster of the Dublin Brigade at that time.